And the patties? Tasty, simple, easy. You’ll need just a cup of mashed butternut squash (or sweet potato, acorn squash). Mix it together with cooked quinoa, an egg, plus a few herbs and spices. Then cook ‘em up in a pan and serve with extra cranberry sauce. You’ll find that this is an easy gluten free meal, and just look at how beautiful they are. I always feel good when eating pretty, colorful food, don’t you?
- For patties
- 1 cup mashed and cooked butternut squash
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa (or 1 cup cooked)
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- Salt and pepper
- For cranberry sauce
- 1/2 pound fresh cranberries, rinsed
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon bourbon, if desired
- Nonstick cooking spray
NOTES*Instead of butternut squash, you can used mashed sweet potato.
- First cook the cranberry orange sauce: Combine cranberries, orange juice, maple syrup and bourbon in a small saucepan. Turn heat on high until it begins to boil, then reduce to medium low, cover and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the sauce becomes thick. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. You may notice a popping sound; this is the cranberries bursting so don't worry!
- While the cranberries are cooking, you can cook the quiona: Add 1 cup of water and uncooked quinoa to a small saucepan and place over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff quinoa with a fork; set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- To make the patties: In a large bowl, combine mashed butternut squash, quiona, onion, garlic, egg, cumin, parmesan, basil, salt and pepper. Form into 4 patties and place in the fridge for 10 minutes to help keep the patties in their shape. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and generously spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place patties in pan and cook for 4-6 minutes or until golden brown, then flip and cook 4-5 minutes longer or until they have nice crispy golden edges. They may be a little difficult to flip so be careful and make sure they are packed tightly.
- Serve warm with a few tablespoons of cranberry sauce over the top and extra basil, if desired. Makes 4 patties and a generous amount of sauce.
If you leave off cranberry sauce, each patty will have 144 calories, 3.9g fat, 21.2g carbs, 2.8g fiber, 1.7g sugar and 7.2g protein.